Steel Import Monitoring System (SIMS) Registration
Obtain SIMS Registration in India with our expertise!
Steel Import Monitoring System (SIMS) Registration
Obtain SIMS Registration with our expertise!
What is Steel Import Monetering System (SIMS)?
Steel Import Monitoring System (SIMS) is a licensing program effective since 1st November 2019 applicable for steel importers launched as a platform by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India. As a part of Notification No. 17/2015-2020 Dated: 5th September, 2019, the Government introduced Steel Import Monitoring System (SIMS) by amending the import policy of iron and steel in ITC (HS) Chapter No 72, 73 and 86 from “Free” to “Free subject to compulsory registration under Steel Import Monitoring System (SIMS)”
The main purpose of SIMS is accountability of the quantitative information about steel imports entering into the country. This information will then be utilised by the government for policy formulation and implementation regarding steel imports. This data on the steel licenses is then compiled, checked and published on the Ministry of Steel website once in seven days for the public to analyse.
Objective of Steel Import Monitoring System (SIMS)
SIMS not only helps in collection of the data regarding import of iron and steel products but also helps in analysis of the data thereby streamlining the process of policy making. In addition, it helps in getting real-time information that helps monitoring the imports into the country.
The primary objective of SIMS is:
Products Covered under Steel Import Monitoring System (SIMS)
The Steel Import Monitoring System (SIMS) shall be applicable on import of Iron & Steel products under Chapter 72, 73, and 86 of ITC (HS), 2017, Schedule-1 (i.e. around 284 tariff lines) which include:
- Iron and steel
- Articles made of Iron & Steel
- Railway or tramway locomotives, rolling-stock and parts thereof; railway or tramway track fixtures and fittings and parts thereof; mechanical (including electro-mechanical) traffic signaling equipment of all kinds
Note: All types of Iron & Steel Products are covered under Steel Import Monitoring System (SIMS). For a comprehensive list of Iron & Steel products covered please visit the link (Click Here)
Salient Features of Steel Import Monitoring System (SIMS)
Salient Features of Steel Import Monitoring System (SIMS) include:
- Online Registration facility is available on a 24X7 basis
- Historic applications are available for review. In case any application was incompletely filed, the same is saved and available for further action.
- In case of any changes in the company organizational structure or hierarchy, applicant’s mobile/email id can be changed/updated accordingly in the DGFT IEC database through the online IEC modification system.
- Importers who are found to furnish incorrect data or fail to register their information/data on notified items in advance on the online SIMS module will attract punitive action including action under the Foreign Trade (D&R) Act, 1992
Other Important Details on Steel Import Monitoring System (SIMS)
Documents Required to obtain Registration under Steel Import Monitoring System (SIMS)
Procedure for Obtaining Registration under steel Import Monitoring System (SIMS)
How Can we help?
Collection of the required documentation from the clients.
Follow-up with DGFT if the process of registration is delayed or slowed down
Preparation and Submission
Document verification, preparation of the form and submission of application as per the DGFT mandate
For Future related Licenses and queries
Frequently Asked Questions
All you need to know before applying for Steel Import Monitoring System (SIMS):
Steel Impot Monitoring System (SIMS) is an online platform launched by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India on 5th September, 2019.
- Any business importing steel products covered under the licensing program is required to create a license for concerned imports. Importers, importing agents, or brokers, may apply for this license.
Yes, multiple products can be imported and included in one license, provided that the importer, exporter, manufacturer, country of origin and port of exportation is the same.
The License number is created immediately, as soon as the payment is completed after the application is submitted.
A view section has been made available for the applicants where they can enter their previous registration number as well as the IEC and look at the previous license details.
Yes, all steel products that are entering India are required to register before the imports
Yes, foreign filers can apply for a license, if assuming they have a valid Indian IEC (Importer Exporter Code) number.
Licenses that are yet to be submitted can be cancelled by deleting the draft crated. In case the application has been submitted, cancellations cannot be made.
Currently, there is no such provision for a refund.
Licenses that are yet to be submitted can be amended
There is no renewal of the License, as new Licenses are issued with every incoming Import.
Validity of the license is 75 days from the date of issuance.
- Yes, one license application can cover multiple products. SIMS has the provision of adding multiple items for each registration provided the importer, exporter, manufacturer, country of origin and port of exportation is the same.
- The license must be filled out prior to submitting the Bill of Entry with Customs. It should be filled out between 15 days to 60 days before the expected arrival of the imports into India.
- Yes, a license is required for each customs entry. You may include multiple products on one license as well.
More questions? Seek help of our experts